Even for this Cubs fan, who was fighting off sleep while the Rangers and Cardinals fought in the World Series, Thursday night's Game 6 was one of the most exciting in World Series history.
The Cardinals scored in the eighth, ninth, 10th and 11th innings -- twice coming within a single strike of losing the entire series -- to pull even with the Rangers. The game ended on a home run by David Freese (pictured rounding first base), whose two-out triple in the ninth kept the Cardinals alive.
Courtesy of David Vincent, a fellow member of the Society for American Baseball Research, here is a list of all game-winning home runs in World Series history.
Game Ending Home Runs in the World Series
(Player, team, league, date, inning hit)
- Tommy Henrich NYA AL 10/05/1949 9
- Dusty Rhodes NY NL 09/29/1954 10
- Eddie Mathews MIL NL 10/06/1957 10
- Bill Mazeroski PIT NL 10/13/1960 9 Series ending HR
- Mickey Mantle NYA AL 10/10/1964 9
- Carlton Fisk BOS AL 10/21/1975 12
- Kirk Gibson LAN NL 10/15/1988 9
- Mark McGwire OAK AL 10/18/1988 9
- Kirby Puckett MIN AL 10/26/1991 11
- Joe Carter TOR AL 10/23/1993 9 Series ending HR
- Chad Curtis NYA AL 10/26/1999 10
- Derek Jeter NYA AL 10/31/2001 10
- Alex Gonzalez FLO NL 10/22/2003 12
- Scott Podsednik CHA AL 10/23/2005 9
- David Freese SLN NL 10/27/2011 11