Monday, September 05, 2011

Haven't missed much


It was three months ago today, on June 5, when I publicly wrote off the Chicago Cubs.

That afternoon, the Cubs, for the second consecutive tie game, opted to not issue a bases-empty intentional walk to Cardinals star Albert Pujols in the bottom of the 12th (June 4) and the 10th (June 5) innings.

Both days, Pujols burned the Cubs with walk-off homers.

That was it for me. I swore off the Cubs for the balance of the season. I cancelled the score alerts via email. I stopped watching them on TV. I don’t listen on the radio. I took a pass on joining our church’s bus trip to Wrigley Field.

Yes, I glance at the standings now and then. Over the past three months, I have watched about nine total innings, an inning or so at a time, on TV. I might listen to an at-bat or two on the radio while driving home from work. But that’s it – and for this Cubs fan, that is not much over 83 games.

So, what have I missed? Not much.

The Cubs were winning at a .403 clip when I started my boycott. After that, they have gone 37-46 (.445) to improve to .428 for the season.

Overpaid pitcher Carlos Zambrano had another mental meltdown, walked out on the team, got himself kicked off the team for a month. And now the professional athlete is considered not in shape to return for the final month of the regular season.

The Cubs fired the architect of all this, their general manager, Jim Hendry.

Carlos Marmol continues to give up leads in the ninth inning.

My blood pressure has improved.

I wonder if Ryne Sandberg would consider coming back to manage the Cubs.


No comments: