Sunday, April 10, 2011

A change of pace


Today, complying with a longstanding demand request by Madame X, I hauled out boxes -- one expandable file per year -- of financial records from a musty storage area under a staircase.

Personally, I think this could be a big mistake. I mean, what if the IRS decides to audit us for 1983?

Anyway, I saved our household calendars along with those various documents.

I retrieved the calendar for 1998, the year the oldest of the four Cooper kids graduated from high school and went off to college.

We used an extra-large calendar for several years. The photo shows May 1998. The spaces are filled with notations for sports competitions and practices, part-time job schedules, piano lessons, concerts and the like. And there were events exclusively for Mom and Dad on there, too.

It's 13 years later, and, as empty-nesters for several years, Madame X and I have downsized our calendar. A blank square is more common than not.

Those were hectic days. Many families with school-age children today are experiencing that. But they should take heart: Those days will end someday. So enjoy and make the most of them while you can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the days where my calendar is blank!