Wednesday, March 30, 2011

How can this be good?

I don't consider myself a beer snob. I don't really know what makes one an ale and the other lager. Some day I might study up on that.

However, I do want my beer to taste like something. Thus, several years ago, I gave up on the mainstream brands in favor of microbrews and craft brands. Just the other day I bought one bottle of a beer bearing the Smuttynose label. Even if I tried a microbrew and didn't particularly like it, I usually liked it better than a billion-barrel-a-day brand. It deserved credit for trying to deliver some flavor. A name like Smuttynose should count for something.

Anyway, I nearly dropped my mug tonight when I read that one of my favorite brewers, Goose Island, of Chicago, had been purchased by Anheuser-Busch (which itself was purchased by InBev in 2008). The brewers of 312 and Honker's Ale are now owned by a brewing monolith. Of course, everyone is putting a happy face on this.

How can this transaction be good for beer lovers? The best we can hope for is that InBev won't screw it up.

1 comment:

Keoni Mana said...

This is absolutely horrible news. There it goes....Goose Island will now taste like any other bottled beer that has no flavor. This is truly a shame!