Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Vacationing -- at minus-600 feet



One of the more interesting events on my summer vacation was touring the Hopemore Mine, just outside the former boom town of Leadville, Colo.

Leadville is 10,124 feet above sea level, making it the highest incorporated community in North America. It's our favorite vacation spot. I've lost track of how many times we've vacationed there the past 20-plus years; my best guess is eight.

Since our previous visit, Bob Calder, owner of the gold (and other precious metals) mine, received permits to allow tours. The excursion took us 600 feet below the earth's surface. I'm not a fan of tight spaces, but I felt less worried about being 60 stories down than I thought I would. I guess there is a certain point where you just have to leave it in the hands of the Higher Being.

My brother-in-law, his three boys, my son-in-law and yours truly survived what was a fascinating experience.

1 comment:

Rod Blum said...

Absolutely fascinating Brian. NO WAY am I going 60 stories underground willingly! Nice job with the music and editing as well. It is truly amazing the courage our ancestors had.
Rod