Tuesday, December 22, 2009

One fan's White Sox all-star team



Today I came across a YouTube slideshow of baseball fan avalsonline's picks for an all-time Chicago White Sox lineup. It's a fun little show, including the Sox fight song in the background.

I was glad to see that two of his starters are the subjects of my biographies, Red Faber and Ray Schalk. Though I don't claim to be an expert on White Sox history, in my opinion, these picks were for the most part solid -- lots of recognition for the old-timers -- with only a couple of questions.

Though I think Schalk deserves his place in the Hall of Fame and is under-recognized by the Sox and their fans, I wondered about Schalk and Sherman Lollar both coming in ahead of Carlton Fisk in the catcher's position. Also, Eddie Collins might deserve more recognition at second base.

Anyway, watch the slideshow and make your own judgment.

1 comment:

Leonard J,. Jacobs said...

Speaking of the old time ball players, may I suggest that the reason "Fleet" Walker doesn't get proper credit as being the first black player to play major league baseball is because the man who wouldn't take the field against Walker, "Cap" Anson, is in the Baseball Hall of Fame.