Saturday, May 09, 2009

Scheduling of free movie sparks memory



At the Dubuque Area Chamber of Commerce's Toot Your Own Horn event Thursday night, I saw the gang from Carnegie-Stout Public Library.

Mike May let me know that the library has scheduled another free screening of an old film classic.

This time it's Charlie Chaplin's "Modern Times," a 1936 comedy (of course) that the Library of Congress listed as "culturally significant."

The showing is 2 p.m. Sunday, June 7, at the Grand Opera House.

I remember my one and only viewing of that movie. It was in June 1972, when I was on a campus visit for the University of Missouri track team. I had several hours of free time and decided to take in a movie. "Modern Times" was a great way to pass the time then, and I hope to see the movie again next month.

No comments: