Sunday, March 22, 2009

How I spent my winter vacation



For four days last week, I visited my Dad at his winter home in Punta Gorda, Florida. For the most part, as my Dad likes to say, we "did nothing ... slowly."

However, my visit did span St. Patrick's Day, when his residential community put on its own parade and hosted a group of bagpipers. Guess who was recruited to help his Dad carry the D Building banner in the parade? (Unfortunately, there were no cameras to record that aspect of the event.)

Dad also found time to do his volunteer duty, straightening up at poolside.

A couple of days later, on my final day in Florida, we were entertained by the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels, who were practicing before a major air show scheduled for the weekend. (Note to self: Next time, don't try to shoot video through a balcony screen.)

The video shows that I have no future in film editing, but ...

2 comments:

Stalin said...

Thanks for the video! I agree the Blue Angels have looked better, but was fun to see the parade and Grandpa takin' care of the pool. Hope they give him cash monies.

erik hogstrom said...

I was about 3 years old and living in Alameda, Calif., when a member of the Blue Angels had to ditch his plane in the San Francisco Bay.
I only remember the loud roar and me running down our front sidewalk to my front door. My mom remembers the other details. Apparently the plane could have easily crashed into our neighborhood.