Saturday, June 07, 2008

Gallop gasp



The third annual Grandview Gallop is in Dubuque one week from today. It's a four-mile race co-sponsored by the Mississippi Valley Running Association, of which I am a member, the Telegraph Herald, where I am employed, and several other businesses.

Two years ago, I was fortunate enough to win my age group. Last year, coming off several months' layoff, I felt fortunate to finish second (in a slower time). This year? Right now, I'm feeling that I'll be fortunate to finish! Well, it shouldn't be that bad ..

I'm feeling the effects of a month of lost training (mid-April to mid-May) due to injury and, of course, Father Time. Especially so after running a rare track workout this morning -- three one-mile intervals at what I thought would be a reasonable "race pace." Considering that I had to work to get within a couple of seconds of my goal time of 7 minutes, I could be in some difficulty next Saturday.

I guess I'll just have to hope that running with others and the adrenaline of competition will carry me through at the Gallop.

Just in case, anybody know the number for 9-1-1?

1 comment:

Stalin said...

The new number is actually:
0118-999-881-999-119-725 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Q6xbEZ-f0