Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Hats off



Part of my Tuesday morning was spent at St. Anthony School and Holy Family Catholic Schools' Spanish Immersion school, which is housed on the St. Anthony campus.

I was invited to read to kindergartners at St. Anthony and then first-graders at the Spanish Immersion school. Fortunately for all concerned, both readings were delivered in English.

This was part of a Dr. Seuss event of some sort.

The reading of Green Eggs and Ham for the younger group went fine. At the Spanish Immersion, sorting through the Seuss books with me, the principal suggested I read The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins. Unlike other the Seuss classics, which are short and in rhyming verse, Batholomew Cubbins is a regular story, in prose -- and long. Eventually, with the teacher's assent, I "edited" a few scenes so that I wouldn't still be there when it was time for afternoon recess.

And by the way, I wore the hat voluntarily -- and even brought it from home.

3 comments:

KrazyFranco said...

That is my hat.

erik hogstrom said...

I think you should have worn that hat at work as well.

Brian Cooper said...

You're right. I think it has been six years since we had Hat Day at work! What kind of hat would Mark Twain wear?