Sunday, February 17, 2008

Smile and say 'mosquitoes'

Parents have a way of snapping pictures when their kids are not enthusiastic photo subjects. Those pictures have a way of working themselves to the bottom of the desk drawer or shoebox -- but eventually they surface.

Such was the case today while, nearly snowbound, I tossed and rearranged years of accumulated stuff. Some old photos emerged.

If I recall correctly, the photo below was taken during the summer of 2001, when four Coopers camped at Starved Rock State Park in Illinois. Not only was the weather hot and humid, the site was not the younger Coopers' favorite destination.


A parent-initiated hike did not help at least one camper's disposition.

Here are our subjects in a happier (and cooler) moment, most likely just a few months later.

5 comments:

KrazyFranco said...

That second one looks like Cedar Falls.

Brian Cooper said...

Now that you mention it, I think you're right. Just a week or so after 9/11.

Stalin said...

Wow those are some cool kids. I was going to make a joke at their expense but I suspect you have a few pictures of me in that shoebox.

Brian Cooper said...

And you think that withholding a joke will spare you future "publicity" on NewsConference?!

Ellen said...

I do like that Greg's the one who looks grouchy in the vacation photo. I always thought people said I complained the most about that sort of thing back then. And I do think we need an old photo of Andy on here.