Thursday, January 24, 2008

Not so bad

A couple of days ago, I advised against running alone during extremely cold conditions -- especially when it's dark.

This morning, with the thermometer reading minus-12, and facing the fact that none of my running partners appeared at our meeting place, I had to make a decision: Follow my advice or turn around and, despite investing about 15 minutes bundling up and another 10 driving to our meeting location, head home.

I compromised, sort of. I cut a mile off the route, covering 3 miles, all the while reminding myself how I would use my flashlight to flag down a passing vehicle should I take a tumble and be unable to get up.

No life-threatening situations to report.

All in all, it didn't feel any colder at 12 below than it did yesterday -- what was it, 4 below? -- though I did put on heavier clothing today.

What's been the coldest temperature in which you've done any physical exercise?

2 comments:

erik hogstrom said...

Seven above. There was no wind, though.
The hottest? My sister and I played tennis once at Encanto Park in Phoenix, Ariz., when it was 110.
Dry heat? Not when you're whacking a tennis ball around!

Stalin said...

I ran all winter in college and one year always wore shorts, just to do it. I definitely did this when it was 20 below with windchill, not a great idea but I made it- mainly because Josie forced me to wear a hat.