Tuesday, January 15, 2008

More Schalk photos procured

Thanks to a heads-up from the publisher of my Red Faber biography, I have located a few more photos for my Ray Schalk biography. And, best of all, they are in the public domain -- free and copyright-free. After paying -- well, more than nothing -- for 20 images from the Chicago History Museum, this was an economical find!

The images are part of the George Grantham Bain Collection recently digitized by the Library of Congress.



The photo above is the best of the half-dozen of Schalk I downloaded. It shows the White Sox catcher in 1914, his second full season in the majors.

Here is an image I found of particular interest. It shows Clarence "Pants" Rowland, whose hometown was Dubuque, when he managed the Chicago White Sox (1915-18). He is shown with his daughter Buelah. This photo was taken during the 1917 World Series, which Rowland's White Sox won.

No comments: