Sunday, January 27, 2008

Iowa Games report

As I stood at the starting line for this morning's Winter Iowa Games 5k road race, I reminded myself that I wasn't in the best of shape. I reminded myself not to push too hard, especially at the beginning -- an ill-advised tendency for me the past several (well, about 40) years.

This time, I didn't require much persuasion, and I paced through a decent wintertime run. Though my time was my slowest 5K (3.1 miles) at this event in some time -- perhaps ever -- I was satisfied with a 22:41 -- especially since I had enough left to pass a couple of fellow competitors in the final half-mile.

For that, I was runnerup in my age group, trailing by a substantial margin my ex- training partner Dan Rohner, a former Dubuque resident whom I have managed to beat exactly once in dozens of races the past decade.

Still, the result tells me I have a lot (as in 2½ minutes worth) of work to do if I'm going to challenge the 20-minute barrier on Labor Day 2008.

Considering the difficult winter we've had for running (and living), it was a mostly pleasant day -- sunny with temperatures in the high teens. A couple of guys ran in shorts, and one competitor ran in shorts and topless (also a guy). It wasn't that warm!

Because conditions were reasonable -- last year, it was so far below zero officials nearly cancelled the race -- there were many race-day registrants. Among them was Madame X, who, coincidentally, also earned a Silver Medal.

Next race: A 5-miler at the Gaelic Gallop, Dyersville, Iowa, on March 15. Beware the Ides of March!

3 comments:

Will & Kate said...

Congrats, Mom and Dad!

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

-K

Anonymous said...

Brian,

Thanks for the shout out. I remember it well when you smoked me in the Drake Master's 800.

Dan

Brian Cooper said...

Dan: I was just thinking about that Drake race yesterday, when I was trudging around the Hempstead track in the rain. I stayed in Lane 2, and noticed how much farther we ran in that crazy race. I think I was no closer to the pole than Lane 3 the entire two laps. I also think that is the one and only time I ever beat you, making the score a gazillion to 1!