Monday, September 03, 2007

Favorable review

When I noticed that the newest edition of the Society for American Baseball Research's Deadball Era Committee newsletter included a review of my Red Faber biography, I held my breath.

SABR membership roll is full researchers, historians and sticklers for detail and accuracy. What would the reviewer think?

I exhaled when I got to the end of Les Masterson's review. He was quite generous.

If you're interested in the review -- or other articles dealing with major league baseball from 1901 to 1919, here is the publication, in PDF format. The Faber book review begins on Page 5.

2 comments:

erik hogstrom said...

"Red Faber goes beyond the usual historical biography of a baseball player. It’s full of interesting stories about a pitcher who has fallen into the shadows of baseball history. It tells the tale not only of a pitcher, but of his family, hometown, and personality. In his first historical biography, Cooper educates and entertains, and gives the
Hall-of-Fame pitcher his rightful place on baseball lovers’ book shelves."

-- I would call this an excellent review.

Greg said...

A Faberable review indeed.