Sunday, June 17, 2007

A grand Gallop

The Grandview Gallop is gaining steam!

Contested along Dubuque's Grandview Avenue, between Murphy Park and co-sponsor The Finley Hospital, the four-mile road race on Saturday attracted 552 runners and walkers on a bright and warm morning.

That is about 130 more entrants than a year ago -- a 30 percent increase.

I was among the contestants both years. After missing a few months of running in late 2006 and early 2007 due to knee problems, my expectations this year were low. On Saturday, I ran 1:36 slower than last year and failed to defend my 50-and-over title. However, I was pleased that I placed second in my age group and resisted the strong urge in Mile 4 to start walking.

Anyway, I was playing with the entry numbers. If this event keeps growing at its 30 percent rate, when the 25th annual Grandview Gallop is staged in 2030, there will be more than 265,000 entrants. I wonder if parking will be a problem.

In any case, I just hope that, by then, organizers have added a 75-and-over age group.

I'm proud that the Telegraph Herald was again among the event co-sponsors, providing promotion and vital staff support.

No comments: