Sunday, March 25, 2007

Auction miscalculation

For the third or fourth time, I attended the spring brunch at Divine Word College, the only Roman Catholic seminary in the U.S. that graduates only missionary priests.

The fundraiser, on the campus of the Epworth seminary, included silent and live auctions.

(The Red Faber biography that I donated brought less than retail price. Perhaps the announcement that I would autograph the book for the winning bidder hurt its value.)

Anyway, I bid on several items, figuring that someone would outbid me on a few (if not all) the items. Isn't that how it's supposed to happen?

Well, it did not exactly play out that way. As a result, I would up with a little more merchandise -- and a bigger check to write -- than I anticipated. Oh, well. There were some bargains. And it goes to a good cause. And an early start to my Christmas shopping?


No comments: