Saturday, February 17, 2007

I could wait another 30 years


Tonight, Turner Classic Movies is showing a film I had seen only once previously -- and that viewing was more than 30 years ago.

I guess this film adaptation of the rock opera "Tommy" qualifies as a classic, since it did produce a Golden Globe and an Academy Award nomination for Ann-Margret (shown above with The Who's Roger Daltrey, who played Tommy).

But, aside from Ann-Margret, "Tommy" didn't do much for me in 1975, when I first saw it. And it does even less for me now. It struck me as a strange movie then, and it seems even stranger now.

Wonder what's on ESPN.

2 comments:

erik hogstrom said...

Kerstin and I watched the final half hour or so... from the "Little Sally Simpson" song to the conclusion.
I love the songs, but I agree -- director Ken Russell seemed to opt for the strangest of courses when faced with a cinematic decision.
Of course... when your source material concerns a blind pinball player who becomes a messianic figure... maybe strange is the only decision to be made?

Brian Cooper said...

Elton John's rendition of "Pinball Wizard," with his strange (even for him) costume, was the best part of the movie. I wonder how long it took him to get comfortable standing on stilts?