Monday, February 12, 2007

Early riser

In an apparent incident of groggy confusion, I rolled out of bed 90 minutes earlier than I had planned or realized -- a few minutes after 4 a.m. What to do? try to go back to sleep, or get an earlier start to what promised to be a very full day?

Anyway, I ended up taking my earliest run in 10 years -- perhaps ever. At 4:30 a.m., it was just me, four or five inches of snow and a half-dozen snowplow operators working parking lots and streets.

Running on the unshoveled sidewalks along Kennedy Road -- at a decent hour, it is one of Dubuque's busiest thoroughfares -- it was a kick to put down the first set of footprints along the route. But the novelty of that ended all too soon. It was extra work to try to negotiate that snow -- especially in my out-of-shape condition.

Tonight, I'm double-checking the setting on that alarm.

No comments: