Saturday, February 17, 2007

Another book on the market

It is not that I am a prolific writer. Far from it! However, it has happened that for the second time in four months, I have a new book on the market.

Actually, this time I am just one of many authors who contributed to Deadball Stars of the American League, a compilation of mini-biographies of standouts in the first two decades of the so-called "junior circuit."

I contributed the condensed biography of Urban "Red" Faber, who is the subject of my full biography released in November by McFarland & Co.

The title refers to the period in baseball prior to 1920, when the composition of the baseball, the rules and, not coincidentally, the transition from "small-ball" to "long-ball" strategy changed the nature of the game.

Edited by David Jones, the AL Deadball book is the companion to Deadball Stars of the National League, which was released three years ago.

4 comments:

erik hogstrom said...

Is the Red Faber book at Carnegie Stout yet? If it is, you should check it out from the library. I think if I was a published author, it would be so cool to check out my own book at the library. I think only then would the experience seem "real" to me.

Brian Cooper said...

Yes, it is part of the Carnegie-Stout collection. I hadn't thought of checking out the book -- someone else might be wanting it -- but it is sort of gratifying to see the book on the shelves of River Lights and, finally, the Dubuque Borders.

Anonymous said...

Is it Urban Charles or Urban Clarence??

I see it both ways.

Brian Cooper said...

It is Clarence. My confirmations: It appears that way, in Faber's own hand, on his Hall of Fame questionnaire. And his HOF plaque in Cooperstown. And Red's son once commented to me how another author recently got the middle name wrong (in the book, "The Spitballers"). How the name Charles got started, I don't know, but I did come across it in a Sporting News profile in the early 1930s. After that, it's like a computer virus -- the misinformation spreads to other sources (some of them quite authoritative).