Monday, December 18, 2006

Next up: Ray Schalk

Ray Schalk
(Photo courtesy of National Baseball Hall of Fame)

After a few weeks reading and copying a few hundred newspaper article, I am confident that the late Ray Schalk, Hall of Fame catcher, will be a viable subject for a full biography.

Though much of my free time the past four years has centered on star pitcher Red Faber, I can say with some confidence that Schalk was a better catcher than Faber was a pitcher. Both outstanding. Both Hall of Famers. But I found no newspaper articles from the first quarter of the 20th century, quoting baseball experts, that described Faber as the best player anywhere in his position. Many did say just that about Schalk, a long-time White Sox catcher.

My opinion about Schalk was reinforced by the acquisitions editor at McFarland & Co., which published my Faber biography. He thinks Schalk would be a "terrific" subject for a biography.

I hope that we're both right.

No comments: