Sunday, October 15, 2006

Motivational meet

I broke away from my indexing chore (see previous post) Saturday afternoon and, with Madame X, headed to Iowa City for a mini-getaway weekend. We burned some of my frequent-guest points with Marriott and enjoyed dinner at Mondo's.

The main purpose for the trip was to run in Iowa City's annual Run for the Schools. We both entered the 5K (3.1 miles) and we both finished second in our respective age groups. My official time of 19:57 (my wristwatch had 19:55) was 14-15 seconds slower than my previous 5K on Labor Day, where the course was billiard-table flat. Today's course had a couple of gentle upgrades, but it also featured a much-appreciated downslope finish.

This race was selected partly because it comes midway between the Labor Day and Thanksgiving Day races in Dubuque. It helped me maintain some motivation for getting up to run on these dark, increasingly cold mornings.

No comments: