Saturday, June 24, 2006

With the Doobies






I attended my second Doobie Brothers concert Tuesday evening. That it has been 29 years between shows speaks to my age and the staying power of the band, which still features a couple of charter members. I first saw the band in the spring of 1977 at Western Illinois University in Macomb, Ill. The concert marked one of my first dates with Ann, who (as of Saturday) has been my bride 28 years.

The venue this week was Wolf Trap, outside Washington, D.C. It's the only U.S. national park dedicated to the performing arts. A foundation puts on a full season of performances, from symphony to rock groups. The huge, wooden ampitheater, the Filene Center, and adjoining hillside were packed by about 6,000 fans. The band, which has a boatload of hits, seemed to hold back most of the favorites toward the end of the 95-minute show. But nobody seemed to mind much.

It was a great evening at a great venue -- and great memories of younger days.

No comments: