Sunday, June 18, 2006

A grand gallop


Saturday's inaugural Grandview Gallop, a four-mile road race along a stretch of Dubuque's Grandview Avenue, was a success. More than 400 runners and walkers participated. My wife and I were among them. Though I didn't run the time I had hoped to, I was satisified with my effort and happy with the experience. (So too for my wife, who also competed.)

The only things I might have changed were parking and the weather. If this event grows, we might need to have shuttle buses between remote parking areas and the start/finish area. The conditions felt much warmer than the mid-70s showing on the thermometer at the 8 a.m. start. But then again, it IS June -- and it could have been worse.

The Telegraph Herald was pleased to be a co-sponsor and part of the planning of the event. The Mississippi Valley Running Association provided much of the expertise toward putting on the race.

I'm looking forward to next year's Gallop!

(Photo (c) Telegraph Herald, 2006. Reprinted with permission.)

1 comment:

Stalin said...

So apparently the TH is happy to co-sponsor these liberal races but won't
co-sponsor anything proposed by the conservatives. Have you no shame?

In soviet russia, the races sponsor YOU!

/please nobody take this seriously
//Congrats, sounds like a nice run.