Sunday, April 09, 2006

What did you say?

Bob Byrne’s column in today’s Telegraph Herald is a hilarious look at mondegreens – situations in which spoken words are mis-heard (rather than mis-spoken).

We’re all aware of mondegreens involving song lyrics A classic is the Jimi Hendrix line from “Purple Haze.” How many of us hear Jimi sing, “'Scuse me .. while I kiss this guy” instead of “'Scuse me … while I kiss the sky”?

A personal, non-musical mondegreen occurred five or six years ago at a Dubuque area restaurant. I asked the server about non-alcoholic beers. “We have Buchenais,” she replied, with the accent on the first syllable and a last syllable that rhymed with "day." Somehow, I connected with my long-ago French
classes, where I learned that the word for “mouth” is bouche.

I’d never heard of this French (or was it French Canadian?) brew, but I was game.

A few minutes later, I was a bit surprised – and amused at myself – when the server placed before me a can of Busch N.A.

Any mondegreens you care to share? Post them here!

No comments: