Saturday, April 01, 2006

Shaking off the rust

My 2006 season of soccer officiating started this morning -- a raw, gray day -- with a scrimmage between the Dubuque Senior High and Dubuque Hempstead varsity boys.

I was a late replacement on the officiating crew, and it was a volunteer gig, but I welcomed the opportunity to work off some of the "rust." Players need practice and scrimmages, and officials do too!

Aside from a low-key match or two in Galena last fall, I did not work any official high school matches in 2005. Last spring, I opted to be a spectator, following our youngest son's final season of high school soccer. So, yes, I felt a bit rusty out there on the "pitch" at McAleece Park.

I still might show some rust on Thursday, when I center my first Dubuque high school match since the spring of 2004, but today's workout helped greatly.

No comments: