Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Honesty still in fashion

Every American schoolkid learns the stories about the legendary honesty of our most famous presidents: Washington's "I cannot tell a lie," and Lincoln's miles-long hike to return a book (or was it a couple of pennies?) were required telling in elementary-school history. Those stories might or might not have been true, and I won't make any claims about the more recent occupants of the White House.

However, I do have a nice story -- not from centuries ago, but today -- about the honesty of a tri-state resident.
Today I received a letter, addressed to me personally. No return address. Inside was a dollar bill. Plus this note:

Dear Sir,
By mistake I took 2
TH's out of the machine at
Hy-Vee Asbury. Here is the money. Thanks.

No, dear reader, thank YOU.
Yes, the TH would have survived without that dollar. But the customer's honesty is much appreciated. As the saying goes, it's the thought that counts.

No comments: