Saturday, April 15, 2006

Don't try this at home

Well we did try it, and we did it at home.
Our younger son, home from college for Easter break, brought home his birthday present -- a slackline kit. Slackline, I learned only a month ago, is similar to a tightrope -- except the line has slack and, when in use, stretches to within a few inches of the ground.
Our son is pretty adept at using the slackline -- he can even walk backwards! -- but the rest of us were rank amateurs. In the photo above left, I managed 5-7 seconds just standing still on the line. That was the highlight. In my other attempts, I was able to walk -- slowly -- but only with assistance. Fortunately, there is not too much distance to cover in a fall. Our future daughter-in-law, however, catapulted far from the line. (Right photo.)
I don't foresee taking up slackline as a hobby any time soon, but I can see why younger people enjoy it.

3 comments:

erik hogstrom said...

At least if you fall off, you won't break your neck. Unless you have a really fragile neck.

Ellen said...

Wow, I thought you were exaggerating when you said how far away Josie ended up! I guess you weren't...

Greg said...

josie is a magical creature